-
March 8th, 2002, 10:44 PM
#1
mcflytrap
Guest
What are some good brands for video capture cards? I pretty much know what I want from the card, I just need pointed to some good manufacturers. Thanks!
-mcfly-
------------------
-
March 8th, 2002, 11:15 PM
#2
MovieStuff
Guest
Well, if you want to ever use it with the WorkPrinter series, then you'll need stop motion capture capability. I mentioned in a different thread that Pennacle's StudioDV will do stop motion capture, but only with Premier 6.0 to enable it. Otherwise it will only capture running video. The odd thing is that Pennacle insists StudioDV won't capture stop motion at all, even with Premier. So there is a constant problem in that many capture board makers simply do not know their own product line.
Here's an even stranger story: When the Matrox 2000 came out a few years ago, it originally DID do stop motion capture. Then, a few months later, they issued drivers to debug the system of the usual problems a new product has. When the new drivers were implemented the stop motion feature went away and never was addressed again by Matrox. Even the newer RT2500 won't do stop motion capture as it comes from the factory. However, there is a freeware program that will once again enable both the RT2000 and the RT2500 to capture stop motion, but ONLY via the analog (SVHS or composite) input.
Ultimately, the cheapest board for firewire stop motion capture is the StudioDV at about $90 retail. None of Pennacle's "in between" boards will do stop motion at all, even with Premier. My $5,000 Pennacle Real Time board will do it as well but nothing in between will do stop motion.
Roger
------------------
Roger Evans
MovieStuff
http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html
-
March 9th, 2002, 01:05 AM
#3
mcflytrap
Guest
Hey thanks, Roger! I can always count on a swifty reply from you. 
I have been told that the Pinnacle Miro DV200 also has stop motion capability with Premiere. Does anyone know anything about this? Somebody is willing to sell me one in great shape along with the full version of Adobe Premiere 5.0 for only $150. Does it sound like a deal?
-mcfly-
------------------
-
March 9th, 2002, 01:12 AM
#4
digvid
Guest
McFlyTrap -
Hmmm...Well, my local Best Buy is selling their DV200's on clearance for $159.00 right now with Premiere 6.0. If you are only getting 5.0 for $150, you might want to look around.
- digvid
------------------
-
March 9th, 2002, 01:17 AM
#5
MovieStuff
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mcflytrap:
I have been told that the Pinnacle Miro DV200 also has stop motion capability with Premiere. Does anyone know anything about this? Somebody is willing to sell me one in great shape along with the full version of Adobe Premiere 5.0 for only $150. Does it sound like a deal?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If it will do stop motion, that's a great deal. Is that board still made? Just curious.
Roger
------------------
Roger Evans
MovieStuff
http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html
-
March 9th, 2002, 01:18 AM
#6
mcflytrap
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by digvid:
McFlyTrap -
Hmmm...Well, my local Best Buy is selling their DV200's on clearance for $159.00 right now with Premiere 6.0. If you are only getting 5.0 for $150, you might want to look around.
- digvid
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ouch! I looked on Pinnacle's site and they are asking $329...so I was thinking it's a deal. I'll check with Best Buy. But do you know if this card has stop motion capture as this seller is claiming? I certainly don't want to get screwed.
-mcfly-
------------------
-
March 9th, 2002, 01:20 AM
#7
mcflytrap
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MovieStuff:
If it will do stop motion, that's a great deal. Is that board still made? Just curious.
Roger
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's available to buy on Pinnacle's site...but I'm not sure if that means they are still in production. I e-mailed the guy for confirmation that this card does indeed have what I have been asking...making sure he's not getting "stop motion capture" confused with "time lapse" and the like.
-mcfly-
------------------
-
March 9th, 2002, 03:18 AM
#8
Cranium
Guest
$159 w/ Premiere?
That's a great deal! Premiere alone is way more than that.
From what I understand, the newer DV200s (the red card) is pretty much an OHCI card, so it's compatible with firewire drives and such. If that's the case, it should be able to do the single frame captures just fine (you could always install it just as an OHCI card and not a DV200)
$160 is a good deal even WITHOUT the 1394 card.
------------------
Mikel Z
-
March 9th, 2002, 12:04 PM
#9
digvid
Guest
Yes, $160 is a great deal. I bought my DV200 w/6.0 last year for $189 at the same Best Buy as an open-box item, just so I could get Premiere. I am tempted to buy this one up and perhaps sell it on ebay, or give it to a family member.
- digvid
------------------
-
March 9th, 2002, 07:04 PM
#10
Matt Pacini
Guest
What cards have component output, regardless of capture capability?
Matt Pacini
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks